The U.S. State Department said checks were being carried out to ensure all staff were safe.
Citing police sources, the Montenegrin press identified the suspected attacker as Dalibor Jaukovic, a 43-year-old Podgorica resident and a former soldier.
A man attempted to throw a grenade into the us embassy in Montenegro on Thursday but ended up killing himself, government officials confirmed.
In the night of Thursday, February 22, at the U.S. Embassy in Montenegro was attacked.
It happened around midnight in the capital Podgorica.
Goldstein said the State Department did not know what the motive for the assault was or whether it was meant to be a suicide attack.
Henrikh Mkhitaryan may be rested at Arsenal vs Ostersunds match
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger says they're not giving up on finishing in the top four this season. The Germany worldwide missed sessions on Monday and Tuesday due to ill-health.
Photos posted on his Facebook profile include a plaque honoring his contribution in the fight against North Atlantic Treaty Organisation during the bombing.
The heavily secured embassy building is located on the outskirts of Podgorica's city center, near the secret police headquarters and Moraca river. Police say Jaukovic was a Montenegrin citizen born in neighboring Serbia.
Last year, it became the 29th country to join North Atlantic Treaty Organisation.
The U.S. Embassy has canceled all visa services for Thursday and access will be on an emergency basis only.
The US established diplomatic ties with the tiny Balkan state in 2006 after it split from Serbia. "Avoid the Embassy until further notice", the message on its website read.
Warning U.S. citizens of an "active security situation", the embassy cautioned them to avoid the embassy site and take precautions.