The students were said to have fled into nearby bushes to avoid being killed or abducted.
Nigeria's police in restive northeast Yobe Wednesday confirmed that 111 girls were still unaccounted for, following Monday's attack by Boko Haram insurgents on Government Girls Secondary School, Dapchi.
"They ran out of foods and carted way foodstuffs from the school", the CP said.
So far, 163 of the Chibok schoolgirls have regained their freedom while dozens of the Chibok girls are still with the Boko Haram, nearly four years since the abduction.
Abdullahi Bego, a spokesman for Yobe state's governor, said authorities have no credible information that the missing girls were abducted by Boko Haram. Security forces are combing the area, looking for the missing girls.
"We also urge the All Progressives Congress (APC)-controlled Federal Government to live up to its basic responsibility of protecting lives and property in our country", the statement added.
Mr. Abdulmaliki said the military had taken over the search efforts. "We did not wait for anyone to tell us what was going on before taking to our heels", Kachalla said.
"Although we were told they had run to some villages, we have been to all these villages mentioned without any luck".
Terrorists invade Yobe girls school
Boko Haram attacked the village, Dapchi, in Northern Nigeria Monday night.
THEWILL recalls that Abdumaliki Sunmonu, Yobe Police Commissioner, has said there is no case of abduction yet saying the Police was profiling the students to know those who are missing. "We have the feeling they were taken by the gunmen".
"Many of the students some of whom are indigenous had scurried to safety in different directions".
Boko Haram kidnapped almost 300 girls from a school in Chibok in April 2014, setting off global outrage.
Getting accurate information from the remote northeast remains hard.
The two sources, several parents and other local witnesses who spoke to Reuters did so on condition of anonymity because they had been warned by Nigerian security and government officials not to disclose the disappearance.
As the issue gained world attention, via the hashtag #BringBackOurGirls, the then president Goodluck Jonathan was criticised for his lacklustre response.
"They need money for arms, ammunitions, vehicles, to keep their army of fighters moving across the borders", Amaechi Nwokolo, from the Roman Institute of International Studies, said.
A Plane Crash in Iran Kills All the 65 Passengers On Board
The ATR-72 was a twin-engine turboprop which was restrictively used only for short-distance local or regional flying. Heavy winds, fog and snow caused the search to be called off on Sunday and helicopters to be grounded on Monday.