Led coalition says it struck Syrian pro-regime forces after 'unprovoked attack'


A rare USA airstrike in Syria has killed approximately 100 pro-government troops.

According to reports a headquarters of the Syrian Democratic Forces came under fire from artillery and tanks.

Pro-government forces in Syria launched an assault on a base where US troops were operating in support of local partner units, triggering a counterattack from USA aircraft, the USA military said on Wednesday. One of the state TV outlets reported "dozens of dead and wounded".

The official added that no USA personnel were killed or wounded in the engagement. The river has acted as a "deconfliction line" between Syrian government forces and US -backed SDF units in some areas of Syria. The US official said that US forces in the region counterattacked using artillery and aircraft.

No U.S. special operations troops were hurt in the attack, officials told Fox News.

The forces were "likely seeking to seize oilfields in Khusham that had been a major source of revenue for Daesh from 2014 to 2017".

Gen Bajwa attends funeral prayers of martyred army personnel in Peshawar
The banned Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) has claimed responsibility for the attack, "The Express Tribune" reported. General Bajwa later visited the CMH Hospital in the provincial capital to meet those injured in the incident.

A U.S. official told CNN that the attackers crossed the Euphrates River and were armed with artillery and other weapons. The Syrian army is supported by Iranian-backed militias and Russian forces.

In a statement, the US -led military coalition tasked with battling the Islamic State called the attack southeast of the city of Deir Ezzour in eastern Syria "unprovoked".

Officials said it appeared that the pro-regime forces were trying to take back land that the SDF had liberated from IS fighters last September, including oil fields in Khusham.

According to the US Central Command, coalition advisers were also present at the site of the attack late on Tuesday.

The attack occurred eight kilometers east of the "agreed-upon Euphrates River de-confliction line".