Multiple shooters have launched an attack on a luxury hotel in Afghanistan's capital city, according to local officials. There are also reports they were "shooting at guests". The attackers had been in the hotel kitchen before moving to the fourth floor.
Unconfirmed reports indicate at least one suicide bomber was involved and attackers have used hand grenades and automatic weapons in the attack.
The US State Department on Thursday warned of a possible impending attack in the Afghan capital.
More than 100 IT managers and engineers were on site when the attack occurred, Ahmad Waheed, an official at the telecommunications ministry, said.
Occupants inside the hotel are hiding on the second floor, a security source said.
Qatari fighters intercept civilian planes: UAE
The GCAA described the act as a severe violation of global laws and an infringement of civil aviation safety standards. It went on to describe the alleged interceptions as "repeated, flagrant violations of worldwide laws and conventions".
Even before Saturday's attack was over, authorities were questioning how the assailants got past the hotel's security, which was taken over by a private company two weeks ago, Danish said.
While it shares the same name, the hotel in Kabul is not part of InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG), which issued a statement in 2011 saying that "the hotel Inter-continental in Kabul is not part of IHG and has not been since 1980".
The State Department said it was monitoring the situation and was in contact with Afghan authorities to determine whether any USA citizens had been affected.
Security in Kabul has been tightened since May 31 when a massive truck bomb ripped through the diplomatic quarter, killing some 150 people and wounding around 400 others- mostly civilians. No group has yet claimed that attack.
The attackers appeared to include suicide bombers, Mr Danish was quoted as saying by Reuters.