MASSPIRG said they alerted the toy's distributor, Bulls i Toy, and Target to the findings, but they "refused to address the problem".
A new report found Fidget Wild Premium spinners in both brass and metal contained dangerously high lead levels.
Two of those came back with high levels of lead. And they are still on the shelves at Target.
Timothy Nolan, president of the company that supplies these fidget spinners, Bulls-I Toy, wrote in response to the report that the fidget spinners in question are "general use products" and therefore "are not in violation of any mandated federal regulations".
But the Marion County Health Department says you shouldn't take any chances when it comes to lead and the effect it can have on kids.
According to the TexPIRG Education Fund, the fidget spinners were tested for lead content by a CPSC accredited laboratory.
"All fidget spinners have play value as children's toys regardless of labeling", Cook-Shultz said.
Twitter Verification on Indefinite Hold After Criticism Over White Supremacist Verification
After facing swift backlash for temporarily locking the account of Harvey Weinstein accuser Rose McGowan last month, Twitter C.E.O.
The legal amount of lead considered acceptable for children's products is 100 parts per million.
Target responded to concerns, saying in a statement that the company is "committed to providing high quality and safe products to our guest and we closely review all product safety claims that are brought to our attention".
Bulls i Toy did not immediately return USA TODAY's request for comment.
The Target page for Fidget Wild Spinner Premium Brass does indeed say it's for people 14 and older, though The Washington Post reported that the fidget spinner's manufacturer labeled them for anyone at least six years old.
Young children have been harmed by lead in products, such as costume jewelry they may be tempted to put in their mouths.
The CPSC did not return calls seeking comment on Friday.
"Even small amounts of lead in toys can be ingested when transferred from fingers to mouth or from fingers to food", U.S. PIRG quotes a national lead expert Helen Binns, M.D., pediatrician at Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago and Professor of Pediatrics at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, as having said.
In the report, the lab results were tested twice to confirm the results. "And, yes, they are toys". "A toy that has 33,000 parts per million of lead in it represents a hazard to a child".