Egypt: 55 policemen killed in gunbattle with militants

Share

At least 50 Egyptian policemen, including officers and conscripts, were killed and several others injured in a gun battle with terrorists during a raid on a militant hideout near Cairo, security sources said today.

Egypt has been struggling to contain an insurgency by Islamic militants led by an affiliate of the Islamic State group, centred mostly across the Suez Canal, in the northern region of the Sinai Peninsula, but attacks on the mainland have also recently increased.

The interior ministry released a statement on the operation on Friday but has so far not given any details on casualties.

The police forces received information about a number of terrorists hiding in the desert area.

No group has yet claimed responsibility for the clash at a militant hideout in the al-Wahat al-Bahriya area in the Giza province, about 135 kilometers (84 miles) from Cairo.

Interior Ministry said that a number of policemen were killed and injured, and some terrorists also died in the ensuing crossfire.

Trump has no plan to block scheduled release of JFK records
Lee Harvey Oswald was arrested for the crime, but he was never prosecuted due to his murder by Jack Ruby two days later. Trump caveated the decision as being "subject to the receipt of further information".

Up to 52 officers killed in shoot-out with fighters in Giza governorate in fresh blow to security forces.

Egypt has suffered attacks by various other groups since the coup of 2013 that many say was orchestrated by the then army chief and current president, Abdel Fattah el-Sisi.

Terror attacks in Egypt used to be centered in North Sinai before spreading nationwide and killing hundreds of policemen and soldiers over the past few years.

No group immediately claimed involvement in Friday's attack.

Egypt has been under a state of emergency since earlier in the year when IS militants launched a series of bombings and suicide attacks that killed scores of Coptic Christians.

Share